HP iPAQ h1910 Quick Review:
I picked up a h1910 a few days ago. I had not paid much attention to the dimensions listed in the specifications and I was floored by how tiny the unit is. Prior to seeing it in person, I was not completely sold on the idea of buying a budget Pocket PC. The size, coupled with the excellent screen was all it took to sell me on the idea.
I know a lot of serious Pocket PC owners fully utilize their handhelds. However, I use my handhelds for only specific tasks, like listening to Audio books and music, reading ebooks and for basic PIM functions. After evaluating my needs and budget, I decided that the h1910 was the best fit for me. Back when the iPAQ 3600 series was first introduced I bought one with all the accessories, including the PC and CF sleeves, an IBM Microdrive, 802.11b card and Sierra Wireless Aircard 300. Wisp was the wireless ISP of choice and I paid $80 a month for unlimited nationwide CDPD service. I spent numerous hours using my iPAQ browsing websites, reading ebooks but while the setup represents the ultimate in portability (or so it did at the time) it was admittedly a Spartan experience. After purchasing my Fujitsu P-2040, my casual in-home web browsing is much improved. I noticed that the iPAQ only came out when I needed the PIM functions or when I listened to audio books. Based on these needs, I chose the h1910. It does not really matter it is not very upgradable. Few accessories exist and there no wireless hardware is currently available. It is however an excellent little PDA...with an emphasis on little.
Pros:
- Extremely small, lightweight and stylish
- Excellent display
- SD card slot in small form factor
- Well priced
- Software compatibility
- Excellent button layout. I particularly like the large power button situated at the top center of the device. It also doubles as the charging and notification LED.
- The built in audio sounds better than any other budget Pocket PC I have heard.
The audio recording function really shines. Full control over mic gain is available, with three settings for environmental conditions.
Cons:
- No SDIO capability
- The stylus is very small..almost like a toothpick. I'm slowly getting used to it however, the more I use it.
- Battery life is marginal. I'm experimenting with various backlight settings.
- The speed is adequate, but could be better. I have read this is due to unique memory management the unit employs. It is different than any other Pocket PC, however I won't go into detail here.
- Does not come with a cradle or case.
- Lack of accessories.
- Why HP decided to configure the unit with a tiny 3/32" stereo plug is beyond comprehension. An adapter is required if you wish to use standard earbuds or headphones, however, matching ones are supplied.
To sum it up, I am pleased with the h1910. I read recently that a bluetooth enabled unit will be available soon (h1915) but I have yet to see pricing. At that point I may trade up.
No comments:
Post a Comment