The "evasive" Cancel button
The dialog sits squarely in the center of my display. The virus update dialog is searching for a proxy server that doesn't exist. It just sits there.
Quickly, I click on the "Cancel" button. Nothing happens. Did I click it? Hmmm..maybe I didn't. I click it again, with no visible results.
Now I'm subjected to a significant wait caused by poor coding, or maybe just a built-in delay put in there by some idiot programmer. Such an irritating thing to do...wait, and everything on the PC screeches to a halt. The fan on my notebook kicks up indicating significant processor usage. I check the running processes. Yep, the virus scanner update utility is taking between 90-95% of the processor.
I should reboot, but I’m slightly masochistic. That’s my punishment for not going into auto repair or management, opting to work on friggin computers instead.
Isn’t the concept of a “Cancel” button somewhat diluted? I mean, come-on!...why even have it on your dialog if you’re not going to fully enable it??!?
Screw all programmers, I hate you… Excluding Bungie and Valve programmers that is…
No comments:
Post a Comment