Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Acer offers a wide-screen notebook | CNET News.com: "Acer America on Monday unveiled a wide-screen notebook built with multimedia in mind. The company's Aspire 2000 comes with a 15.4-inch display that offers a resolution of 1,280 by 800 pixels. It's a 'wide aspect ratio' display, meaning it lets viewers watch movies without black bars appearing on the top and bottom of the screen. "

It seems as if Acer is ahead of most when it comes to innovation, however, I can't get past negative impressions of Acer, formed long ago when their first PC's were sold in department stores. Those PC's were lowly junk. Lower than the garbage produced by Packard-Bell.

It's hard to ignore those entrenched negative opinions, regardless of how reliable and innovative new Acer products may be. I won't buy Viewsonic products to this day because of problems I had with my first and only Viewsonic CRT monitor in the early 90's. I despise Gateway because they tried (albeit unsuccessfully) to sue the popular TUCOWS shareware website for copyright infringement.

I think most consumers behave in the same manner as I do and it makes for an interesting case of product loyalty.

No comments: